Ironman Malaysia 2014
IRONMAN made its much-anticipated return to Langkawi Islands on September 2014. Located within a cluster of tropical islands that attracts visitors the world over, the race will take athletes on a truly Malaysian cultural journey through tropical, hilly and demanding terrain passing traditional kampungs (villages), mangrove clusters and rainforest vistas.
The return of IRONMAN Malaysia has attracted a record breaking 1397 athletes fro 58 countries making the event the largest international triathlon that Malaysia and the islands of Langkawi will be hosted. Athletes have dedicated months of training to the event on September 27th which comprises of a gruelling 3.8km swin, 180km bike and 42.2km.
Some fun facts:
- Malaysia is the largest country represented with 247 athletes registered
- Singapore is the second largest representation with 202 athletes
- Japan is third largest representation with 180 athletes
- International athletes make up 83% of the participant list
- The youngest athlete is 20 years old and the eldest athlete is 77 years old
The iconic IRONMAN Series of events is the largest participating sports platform in the world. Since the inception of the IRONMAN brand in 1978, athlets have proven that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE by crossing finish lines at the world's most challenging endurance racess. Recognised for excellence trhough distinguished events, world-class athlets and quality products, IRONMAN has grown from a single race to a global sensation with more than 190 events across five unique brands: IRONMAN, IRONMAN 70.3, 5i50 Triathlon Series, IronGirl and IronKids. For more information, visit www.ironman.com